Sector Innovation and Development
Supporting Artistic Practice
The Sector Innovation and Development component of Supporting Artistic Practice funds Canadian groups, organizations and cultural connectors for projects targeted towards growing and improving the arts sector. Grants encourage initiatives that strengthen and develop support for Canadian artists.
You can apply for:
- a project grant for a single project
- a composite grant for a 1-3 year grant for multiple projects.
You may be eligible for Application Assistance to pay someone to help you with the application process if you are experiencing difficulty and self-identify as:
- an artist who is Deaf, hard of hearing, has a disability or is living with a mental illness
- a First Nations, Inuit or Métis artist facing language, geographic and/or cultural barriers.
Activities - what you can apply for
Support towards the planning, development and/or implementation of projects that strengthen the arts sector, including but not limited to:
- representation or management services for a stable roster of 3 or more Canadian artists, groups or organizations
- production, management and platform services for a number of Canadian artists, groups or organizations
- publishing critical and interpretive magazines that support 1 or more artistic practice
- developing new approaches to organizational models and management practices
- opportunities for shared learning and networking, resource exchange or other forms of collaboration (including mentorship programs)
- organizing conferences, symposia and workshops
- sector research
- implementing and adapting to new technologies
- organizations not presently receiving core funding and that have been validated as belonging to a designated priority group can apply for organizational capacity-building projects. The designated priority groups include applicants from culturally diverse, Deaf and disability, official language minority, and Indigenous communities.
Activities must have an impact in the arts sector beyond a personal gain or benefit to your group or organization. Designated priority applicants applying for organizational capacity-building projects do not have to demonstrate this larger impact.
You can’t apply for creation and presentation activities, activities that occur before the deadline date, those that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- cultural connectors
- artistic groups and collectives
- architectural groups and collectives
- artistic organizations
- national arts service organizations
- support groups, organizations and shared platforms
- festivals, presenters and touring networks
- book and magazine publishers
- agencies and management service organizations
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
To be eligible for a composite grant, you must have received at least 1 composite or 2 project grants from the Canada Council in the last 5 years. This excludes grants from the following components and programs: Professional Development, Small-Scale Activities, Travel, Representation and Promotion, Translation, Digital Strategy Fund, Leadership for Change: Grants for Organizational Development, Flying Squad, Visiting Foreign Artists, Creation Accelerator, Frankfurt initiatives, Digital Originals and the COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund. (Only Agents and Managers can include the following programs/components in their calculations of 2 grants in 5 years: Audience and Market Development Travel Grants and Representation and Promotion).
Organizations presently receiving core grants from the National Arts Service Organizations component of Supporting Artistic Practice can apply for research projects only. Other organizations presently receiving core grants can submit project applications for exceptional, non-recurring initiatives that fall outside of the type or scope of activities usually undertaken by the organization. You are responsible for demonstrating the exceptional nature of your project. Organizations presently receiving core grants are not eligible for composite grants.
Magazine publishers: your application will not be eligible if your organization does not pay fees or royalties according to standards of the arts practice and has not fulfilled all contractual obligations related to copyright payments as of the application deadline.
Deadline and Grant Amount
Normally, up to $50 000
Normally, up to $50 000 per year